Friday, May 14, 2010

Style


    My online style is diverse. My online style has range. My style is dynamic and adaptable. My style is not just a style it is styles. When I get online, there is not just one format to communicate in or medium to work through, so I must adapt and tailor fit my communication to each specific mode I come across.

     The first mode of online communication that I, and most of us, come across is email. Email requires a personal style. It’s sort of like writing a letter. But it can also requires us to be formal or business like, albeit still striving to sound personal. One such instance could be submitting a resume online via email. But for the most part, email is a way to stay in touch with friends and family so my emails reflect a very personal style in which I share my thoughts.

     Another mode of communication we commonly bump up against is the social networking aspect. This can divided into a few different things within itself: messages, comments, status updates and instant messaging. Messages are essentially email within the context of a social networking site, so my style reflects that of an email. Comments are quite different than messages, where as messages are private between sender and receiver, comments are public. I go for a quick and humorous style in my comments that everyone can enjoy, not just the intended receiver because comments due to their public nature have an audience. I keep comments short sweet and to the point. Status updates much like comments are public and should be audience centered. In fact status updates are wholly audience centered because there is no specific intended receiver. Status updates function more like a news broadcast just out there for everyone to see. My style of sharing my status with others is that I limit myself to either humorous remarks, or things that are actually newsworthy. Nobody (but your narcissistic self) cares what type of cereal you had for breakfast. Finally that leaves us with instant message. Instant messaging is all about short little messages. My style is like sending a text message, trying to condense information into fewer words. Although unlike the complete back and forth ping-pong style communication we call texting, instant messaging is more conversational. My style of instant messaging is a conversational style, I simply write what I would have said in a verbal conversation (plus smiley faces for emphasis).

     That brings us to a third style of online communication, which is one of my favorites, public relations. I use the language of advertising and public relations to promote my business throughout various avenues online. This involves social networking, web design, email and blogging. I use an official sounding tone to give my business presence online in social networking sites. I use the same language to give out information on my website. I shamelessly self-promote through tweets and status updates that keep people involved in what’s going on with my business. I use email to send newsletters that are informative and entertaining. I use blogging to give a more detailed behind the scenes and personal look into what’s going on, which brings me to the final mode of online communication I’d like to discuss.
 
   Blogging, you must be familiar with it. You’re doing it right now. My style for blogging is a personal stlye. I love to embrace narratives and metaphorical language to bring my thoughts to life. I treat my blogs often as a sort of journal or diary for my thoughts on various subjects. The blog is one place where I am more likely to embrace stream of consciousness writing and worry less about structure. When the creative juices just flow like that, that’s my favorite style.

4 comments:

  1. It's crazy how many options we have to communicate with others. The repetition at your blog drew me in and kept me reading because it was very artsy, if it can be considered that. E-mailing is something I can't say that I absolutely love, but I'll put up with it. I mean it's a good way to communicate with others that are far away, but then again opening up one wrong e-mail can completely kill your entire computer. Even if it's from someone you know it could have that potential danger. I would rather enjoy speaking to someone face to face or on the phone, keeping it short and sweet. Since I have started blogging I am starting to realize that I like it more than I thought it would. I don't have to use these extravagant loaded words in order to get my point across and still sound educated. I feel like it's a diary to me as well. Being given the questions to answer through blogging is nice too because I love to debate in class. I like being able to post my thoughts on the subject and wait to see who agrees or disagrees. I have to say that I really benefit from this kind of communication more than I thought I would because now I'm constantly debating with myself in my mind about where I stand on certain topics. Good Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how many of us use all theses types of styles in means to communicate to one another. I didn't realize until i read your blog on how these different types of styles can be really used. I just use them just to communicate, which that is its purpose to. Due to this class, blogging has broaden my knowledge, because people like you, that use narrative and metaphorical language has an impact, because i get to view your opinions about certain things, and even get to learn new things from other people simply by communicating through email, blogs, etc. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Very distinctive style. I change my writing style depending on my audience. For example, when I send e-mails to my friends I try to be direct and to the point. However, when I write e-mails to my friends I make sure to provide more detail in my compositions. I also try to maintain a formal tone in all of my work. As you stated, “Email requires a personal style. It’s sort of like writing a letter. But it can also require us to be formal or business like, albeit still striving to sound personal. ” I also agree with this statement because in online communication, the only thing your readers have to judge you on is your written work.

    As you mentioned, “I keep comments short sweet and to the point.” Most of the time, I tend to sent direct message instead of indirect. We are not able to determine a person’s attitude by listening to the intonation of their voice or their body gestures. Some messages can be misinterpreted when read in e-mails because they lack these subtle clues. That is why I strive to make my e-mail messages direct and to the point. Great job on your blog post! It is evident that we share similar electronic writing styles!

    Andy Huynh

    ReplyDelete