Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Possible


Oh boy... the research paper. Do we really have to talk about that? I fear that this blog may interfere greatly with my procrastination. At this point, I don’t have a lot of solid work done. I am actually still reading the Great Gatsby and that worries me a little bit. On the plus side I took a “writing research paper” workshop in the Learning center today. So I have completed the first step (somewhat) of getting organized.
I have read all the details and understand the assignment very well, as well as all the requirements. BUT, I don’t really have a good time schedule or goals laid out. AND this week is super busy.  I am working Weds - Saturday, and have school wed and thursday. So both those days I can’t work on the paper. I need to finish reading the Great Gatsby, and go from having 0 pages to having 5 by Sunday, with the only available time to do that being today (which I also have to take the two hour timed essay, since I can’t on Weds or Thursday), when I get off work Friday night or before work Saturday morning. And whatever is left I’ll have to work on Sunday after noon (so much for a day of rest right?). 
Did I mention, I haven’t started doing any research? In fact I really don’t know what to search for with the prompt I chose. I’m supposed to talk about how the girl’s in Reading Literature in Tehran reinvent themselves and discuss the illusions their society creates as well as the illusions they create and relate that to Gatsby “honesty of imagination.” Hmmm... where should I begin to search? Do I look up Iranian society? Scholarly literary analysis of Reading Lolita In Tehran and The Great Gatsby? Scientific or psychological articles about imagination or honesty? I just don’t know what direction to take there.
Not to mention, that all of this is going to require more reading... ah! Cue the violin music, as the S.S. Ben’s Research Paper sinks into the harbor. Hopeless! Hopeless! Hopeless! Hopeless! Okay, I may be getting a little over dramatic, but hey Jennifer said vent! And my form of venting is highly dramatic.
So here I find myself in this sticky situation, things look bleak, and I am wishing my research paper was done, well wishing this semester is over... but anyways, there must be a glimmer of hope or some silver lining in these thunderclouds. So let’s take a look at the glass half full! I gave my final speech in Public Speaking, so there are no more assignments in that class, doesn’t look like I have any home work in Art History either. AND, there are no Exploring Language questions or Reading Discussion questions to wrestle with this week... and I already finished my extra credit blog for English, AND I am finish this blog right now on a Tuesday! 
So even if it does come down to finishing this draft at the eleventh hour, at least this paper will be the only thing I have to worry about at the eleventh hour. Besides now that I’ve vented through this blog, I can start to fell the fog roll out of my mind and the little gears of inspiration slowly start to turn. This paper is again, possible.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Ben! I think it’s such a big coincidence that we posted our blogs at the same time and how we’re both worried about the research paper. I also chose The Great Gatsby prompt. I also have such a busy week that I am worried that I will not be able to finish the paper. I really liked the way you wrote this : “And whatever is left I’ll have to work on Sunday after noon (so much for a day of rest right?).” I am going to be up Sunday also doing the paper and I just hope that it gets done. In my blog, I wrote that I had “sources”, meaning I only had the two books to use in my essay. I don’t know what to research either which is a little frightening. I love your imagery and the way you describe your condition, I feel like I connect with your situation (which I actually do connect): “…there must be a glimmer of hope or some silver lining in these thunderclouds.” And I’m glad that this is your only paper you have to deal with. I still have another 5 page research paper due on Friday. Ahh! Well, I wish you luck on your paper and I hope that you are going to be able to complete it in time. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the picture you have incorporated, it adds to the blog. I look at it and it screams research paper lol. The cliché could not be more true and at this time in the year. I mentioned in my article that I love this time of year when we get a break from school but I hate the entire work load and the importance of the work at that. It is always the most important assignments at the end and so many, practically one from each class. That is cool that you took that workshop to help you, I stopped by Ms.Gross office today for help or advice but the workshop might be a great help as well. Unlike you I have two pages started on my paper but it is not all what I would like for it to be. My information is scattered and I am really depending on the smart thinking tutors for helping me organize it. Your blogs are always so well written I know you will do fine and throw your information together nicely. The research part is easy but it is time consuming and I think that is what is holding us all back. One last thing I relate to you on is how writing this blog and responding to you blog gave me an excuse to procrastinate as well with my paper but infortunalty as soon as I press submit on your comment box I will start my research once again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,

    If you're on the sinking ship SS Ben Andrews then I'm your first mate and navigator. Not only are our lives running parallel as far as time complications, but also, again, on writing material. I enjoyed your venting and greatly appreciate that you chose to look positively instead of negatively at what we've accomplished because, good God, child, we sure have done a lot for this class!

    Even though you may be struggling with The Great Gatsby, you certainly wrote a wonderful blog posting about your experience hearing Dr. Robert speak. It read very easily and actually made me jealous that I had missed hearing him speak in person so thank you for that.

    Realizing admiration for an activist and the impact of his life on all of ours is of much greater importance to me than the research paper we are all still struggling with.

    I think I'll miss reading everyone's blogs more than anything after this class finishes. I'll keep yours in my Reader list. Hopefully you keep writing!

    Good job!

    Michelle Erickson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ben,

    I hear you on the procrastination! I also am a big procrastinator and every time I have a new project to do, I tell myself that I will not procrastinate. Sadly, that never seems to come true and I almost always end up starting projects or assignments at the last minute. The hardest part of writing this essay was simply to sit down and start typing. I am often distracted by other things like facebook and modern warfare 2. I have made an ultimatum for myself and restricted my use of any of these things. In doing so I hope to clear my mind and increase the amount of time I put into my paper.

    I have not had the best experiences with writing essays as I was growing up. Often times I would be stuck writing essays on prompts that I cared little for. This lack of care caused my full potential as a writer to be held back. I completed these types of assignments simply because I did not want to fail. However, now I realize that we get out of our essays the amount of work that we put in. I know that I have surprised myself with the knowledge I have gained by writing essays. Good luck to you and we are almost there!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete