Friday, May 28, 2010

Full --> Fuller




Writing a research paper is a learning experience. Going into the research paper I really didn’t know what I would write about. I found that the research part of the research paper is really where I figured out an angle to go from. I set out in a quest to find some good academic sources on imagination and what I found actually interested me. I came across a great philosophical article by Timothy M. Costelloe, titled "Hume’s Phenomenology of the Imagination." It went into immense discussion on the process of imagination. 
I learned about the imagistic powers, conceptual powers and productive powers of the imagination. I was most surprised by the concept of the productive power of imagination. To quote Costelloe “These ideas transcend experience and include those of space with nothing tangible or visible (a vacuum), time without change and succession, continued existence, substance and self-identity, and the immortal soul.”  This concept is deep. I was surprised to come across concepts so mind-bending in my research.
I made a realization that I can come across something like that anywhere. I reconnected with the idea of being surprised by deepness. I also realized that sometimes, communication can be a bit difficult. How can I get this idea across in a blog? Frustration.
This paper had some frustration other than communication. Bits of good and bad. My first review for revising this paper complimented me a lot, but didn’t offer much to help me improve. Another review was extremely helpful. Lots of comments, lots of criticism. So whoever gave me that one, THANK YOU! Others can do a great job of catches mistakes that you missed.
I feel that I should have learned more from this research paper, but I honestly feel that I have taken in so much information this semester that learning more in this research paper is a bit like putting gas into an already full tank. Overflow. My mind is full and I can put the pump on, but most of the gasoline is just spilling onto the floor and getting all over my shoes. 
But perhaps I am being a bit unfair.To say I learned little,would be a suggestion that my fellow classmate taught me little. That is not true. In fact reading other peoples papers did help me learn. I was amazed by what may fellow students wrote and am actually looking at their essays as a model of how I can improve my own.
So yes, I am fluctuating back an forth between attitudes within this post, but hey that’s how my mind goes. Mixed emotions. Glad I learned things but wish I learned more. I hope I’ve learned to not just think entirely about myself though. I hope that I have learned to appreciate others work and learn something from them. I hope that I have learned that there are other ideas and opinions out there than mine and that I can learn something from them. I hope that no matter how “full” I get, that I can always get fuller.

3 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed that I can put somewhere around 12.87 gallons of gas in my 10 gallon tank. Does that make any sense whatsoever? How is a person supposed to compute truthful MPG if GPT (gallons per tank) is an ever changing unknown variable? That's how I feel about some of the rules for different styles of essays. Analyzing logical fallacies and proper MLA citations are very much like MPG/GPT equations in my book. I got those same kinds of comments, too, about my essay that you mentioned you got about yours. There's "helpful" and then there's the 'oh, shit! HELPFUL" comments. I need them all to help with my MPG.

    Michelle
    Aguilar's Pride Akitas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Again Ben,

    As always you have a witty way with words. I always enjoy reading your musings, and I particularly like your final thoughts this week. Nice photo outside of the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club too!

    I’m glad you found the critical comments on your essay helpful. Like you, I prefer the strong (even harsh) critical comments much more than “great paper” type of remarks. It’s hard to know what need refinement without specifics. Regardless, your writing has been very strong throughout the semester, in my humble opinion. I hope you have a chance to keep on writing because you could end up writing the next great American screenplay or novel! (Something tells me you are already working on that screenplay…DragonCow PRODUCTIONS)

    I hope enjoy a great summer and plenty of success in your future endeavors.

    Best of luck and God Bless.

    John

    ReplyDelete