Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Freedom of Literacy


Some of my finest childhood memories are about learning to read. I remember sitting down with my dad and reading a book about the founding fathers of our country. I was home-schooled for second and first grade so I learned to read and write at home. I can't really imagine learning how to read in the context of school. I guess that's why children's book author Emilie Buchwald once said; "Children are made readers on the laps of their parents." I think my parent's influence set the stage for my life long love of reading and writing.

When I think back upon my life many of my memories would be completely lost without literacy. I grew up in the library. Every Saturday my mother would take my sister and me to the Little-Rock public library. We would pick out a big stack of books to take home to read that week. Having grown up that way it is hard to imagine being illiterate. So much of who I am would be lost if I could not read. I wouldn't have the same confidence and self esteem. I wouldn't have been able to survive school. I wouldn't have taken an Honors English course in 8th grade; I met one of my best friends in that class. I wouldn't have joined an after school book club in 8th grade. I wouldn't have taken AP Literature or AP Language and Composition in high school. I definitely wouldn't have taken a class about Shakespeare last semester and I definitely wouldn't be in this class.


Beyond just the effect illiteracy would have had on my course in life and English academics, all of the other areas of my personal interest and education would be nearly impossible with out literacy. I don't know how I would have graduated high school with out being able to read. I wouldn't have been able to perform in Drama without being able to read my lines. I am not only actor, but a writer and a filmmaker. I wouldn't be able to write a story or script for one of my films. I wouldn't be able to write newsletters for my production company. I wouldn't be able to read and discover new ways to make films. Without literacy my hands would essentially be tied behind my back.


Going through life illiterate must be much like singing in a choir without being able to read music. I was in high school choir and now I am in my church choir, and I don't read music. I have to listen to a song over and over again to learn it. One day I hope to learn to read music and open my eyes to another language. I desire music literacy. And just as I must inconvenience the music teacher to essentially spoon feed the music to me in only an auditory manner, an illiterate person must have to likewise inconvenience the world around him.


Literacy is essential to having a full life. It is necessary to efficiently gain knowledge. Being illiterate would essentially handicap you in a modern society. That is why during the age of slavery slave masters would not allow their slaves to learn how to read or write. The former slave Frederick Douglass put it this way; "Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." I am thankful for my literacy because it is my strength and my freedom.

5 comments:

  1. It's odd how we don't actually realize how important it is to be able to read, because like you said, it is a basic necessity in our modern world. I can't imagine walking into a restaurant and not being able to read the menu, or go to a bus station and not being able to read the schedule, not only would it be uncomfortable, but also terrifying not being able to understand how to get from one place to another, or even what food to ask for because you cannot understand the words printed. For the first time in several years my grandmother was finally well enough to travel from Mexico to see us for the holidays, but unfortunately she developed an eye infection and had to go to the doctor. Because she only speaks Spanish, I had to go in with her and translate, but I was completely shocked when the doctor put up the letters on the screen for my grandmother to read only to realize she didn’t know the names of the actual letters—she only knew the sounds the letters make. I was completely shocked and very sad when this happened because it reminded me of how important reading is for the most basic things. I had never consciously thought about what would happen if I could not read the alphabet for a simple eye exam, and now that I see my grandmother struggling day by day to learn more of the alphabet, I see the value of being literate. I completely agree with your quote, reading does free you, and my grandmother is proof of that. Good luck learning to read music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literacy is the kind of thing we sort of take advantage of and never really sit and think about its vast importance to our lives. I too learned to read at a young age and going to the library was a weekly thing for me. When I got my first library card I was overjoyed! I remember when I was younger my teacher always had me read to my class. She would put me on this little stool in front of everyone and have me read whole books in preschool. It made me so proud and basically made me comfortable in front of large groups allowing me to perform in musicals. I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to read. I'd feel completely hopeless; like a fish out of water. Without it many things just would not exist for me. Great post Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this blog on literacy and the effect it has had on your life. I m glad hear that your family was fully engaged with you as child. Nowadays many young people do not have the respect for literacy as you do. I as a young child was never in to the library as much as other kids, but that was only because my mom worked, so there was little or no time for those type of activities. The one thing I do remember is my mom buying all type of books from yard and rummages sales, at the time as a child I didn’t have a full appreciation for what my mom was doing. See we might have had time for the library, but that was only because moms brought the library home to us with a array different books and journals that she knew would be significant in the future for us.
    I myself am not a big reader but I am more than thankful for being able to read write, but I wish that all languages were universal. I speak English and I am semi- fluent in Spanish, but I know I still lack significant language skills when it comes to many other languages. Knowing that I will not be able to communicate with all those that come across me puts me in an uneasy state sometimes. I as a human fear the unknown and cannot imagine the life where I didn’t know anything that was of significance or relevant to succeeding in life, nor could I imagine being dependent on another all because I was able to read or write.
    I also enjoyed you quote of Frederick Douglas, he was a truly inspiring man. I have read a lot of his work and done a number of reports on him in the past. It was once Said that Mr. Douglas wore his Degree on his back; ( in reference to his whipping marks) this was said because Frederick needed not show you papers from a fancy school in order for you to believe or respect what he was talking about. All that was really was for him to take off his shirt and all the experience and knowledge would be presented right there on his backside. Could you imagine being marked up with years of abuse and frustration?
    Nice Blog Get back to you again Thanks and have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, your points are very well made. On a similar note, I've become increasingly concerned about the impact technology, particularly digital media, has had on the literacy level of students in this country. While technology can be of great help to encourage young kids to read and write, isn't it also creating the wrong environment for learning how to read and write WELL? I have read many websites, blogs and forums where posts are made with minimal thought. The level of sophistication of the writing is not much better than casual conversation - and sometimes pretty pathetic conversation, if one could call it that.

    I would like to see young people spend more time on the classics in literature with a real book. I can not speak for all elementary and junior high school teachers, but I have seen and heard of many who are using technology as "an easy way out" to teaching. Literacy levels will inevitably continue to decline if this trend goes unchecked. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete