Saturday, January 1, 2011

The New Year

2011. The pressure is on! Resolutions are being made. Plans are being made. This is the year to achieve things, to build communities, to build empires!   This is the year to discover new things, and to make new breakthroughs. This is a chance to refresh, to restart, and to renew. This is the year to top the one before it.

In all of that, I start to wonder where I fit. What's my purpose for this New Year? Should I be making resolutions? Should I be making plans? How will I invest all of my time and energy this year? 

I'm still sorting that out but I think I've figured out a couple things. First off I need to find balance in my life. I can't devote all that I am to any one earthly cause, and I can't over commit and spread my self too thin. Second I am not going to make any specific resolutions per se. What I am going to commit to is simply doing the right thing. If something is right, something needs to be done... then I will do it. Third and most importantly I need to have an overarching theme and purpose to my life. My life has to be about living for God. It has to be this way because what I do for God is the only thing that will last. Everything else will turn to dust, but the time I put into helping others, and showing God's Love will have eternal value.

With those goals in mind I step into 2011, knowing I am not perfect, knowing I'll make mistakes, but also knowing that I'm forgiven and can begin each day, each moment new, not just each year. So to anyone I've hurt this past year, to anyone I've been rude or uncaring toward, to anyone who I've let down, to anyone that's seen me fail to live up to what I claim to believe, I am sorry. I pray with God's help this year will be better. That I can be more disciplined, that I can be more mature, that i can be more caring, that i can have more joy, patience, peace and kindness.

- Ben Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment